In the wake of the worldwide spread of COVID-19, Amazon has been flooded with a throng of self-published books on coronavirus. These titles, billed as authoritative guides to prevention and treatment, are often plagiarized, pulling from reports and publications available online.
One such book is Richard J. Baily’s Coronavirus: Everything You Need to Know About the Wuhan Corona Virus and How to Prevent It, which ranks among Amazon’s top “coronavirus” search results. As NBC News reports, the book’s first two chapters were lifted verbatim from NBC’s own reporting, with a subsequent chapter on cleaning tips taken from the website for a California-based housekeeping company. Dr. Kelsey Graham purports to provide “The FACTS without the POLITICS” in Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19); these facts are pulled directly from the Center for Disease Control’s frequently asked questions.
Amazon already has its hands full in trying to ban titles that violate its guidelines from their offerings. The e-commerce giant quietly removed titles containing Nazi propaganda and has also pulled books containing vaccine misinformation which claim to cure autism via pseudoscientific methods. As for its coronavirus-related challenges, these are hardly limited to books; the company has also begun placing restrictions on sales of products like face masks and hand sanitizer as would-be opportunists attempt to turn a profit through price gouging. According to The Guardian, some third-party sellers raised prices on these high-demand items by as much as 2,000%.
Also In This Story Stream
- Parenting During a Pandemic: Books That Can Help You Get Through This
- Fighting Back With Books: 5 Nonfiction Works that Challenge COVID-19-Inspired Racism
- Virtual Book Events You Can Attend From Home
- Prison Ereaders and Tablets Should Be Free During COVID-19
- Bookish Virtual Scavenger Hunt Ideas: Social Distancing for Book Lovers
- 20 of the Best Free Kindle Books You Can Read in Isolation
- Book Releases Delayed Due to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Lionsgate Offers Free YouTube Showings of Four Popular Films
- Every Library Institute Creates HALO Fund for Librarians and Library Workers
- Get Yourself Some #SocksForBinc!
- Welcome to Comics School, Kids (and Adults Too)!
- Pulitzer Prize Awards Announcements Postponed
- New Grant Will Help Disabled Authors Promote Their Books
- Coalition of National Arts Grantmakers Launches Emergency Artist Relief Fund
- How Audiobooks are Getting Me Through COVID-19